Thursday 30 June 2016

Crochet CAL 2016 - Bubble Gum Shawl by Katja Löffler




Hello again,

Did you know that there is a Crochet Along going on right now for a shawl?*

I only found out beginning of this week when I came across the image for the shawl on pinterest, find it here.


Bubble Gum Shawl by Katja Löffler



Ravelry: Bubble Gum pattern by Katja Löffler:
Copyright Cittigato on Ravelry

First things first - here is the Ravelry page with details and link to the free pattern

The CAL is running from 17 June to 8 July 2016. But that doesn't mean that you can't crochet your own shawl any other time, of course. I'm a bit late to this party, but it doesn't bother me.

Important : it might be that the pattern is only free during the CAL, so I would advise you to download it as soon as possible before the 8 July 2016 - just in case!

This is indeed a beautiful and intriguing shawl! I've not seen another quite like it. For me it was love at first sight! It has got lots of holes. I believe a colour changing yarn is a must.

Going through my yarn stash I found the right yarn - Schachenmayr Tahiti which is a fine cotton yarn I have used before for another shawl last summer - you can find the blogpost with photos of the finished shawl here

Unfortunately this yarn is now discontinued. There are lots of different colourways.

And here are my first photos, I only started on Tuesday!

Happy Yarn - Schachenmayr Tahiti


Getting started on the Bubble Gum Shawl



29.06.2016 - making progress

30.06.2016 - Last night's colour changes

Shawl is curving gently
I just finished row 57. There are a total of 109 rows in the pattern. Obviously the rows keep getting bigger each time. I photographed it laid out on 4x A4 sheets of paper.

Each row is written out, so it is very easy to follow! After a while you see how the pattern is built, one side is curved, the other has got spikes every so often. The pattern starts at one side of the shawl and then works across to the other side.

Despite the fact that my shawl in progress has not been blocked you can see the 'bubbles' very clearly!

I am using a 4mm hook versus the recommended size of 2-3mm for this yarn. The pattern actually states a 5mm hook, but I decided against that. Sometimes you have to go with your own instinct! To me this feels the perfect match.



KAL 2016 Knitted Bubble Gum Shawl © Biancha Müller

* For those of you who are also knitters, guess what? There is a KAL 2016 as well!!!
Find the ravelry link to the free pattern here (download before 8 July, might have to pay after that date).


Knitted Bubble Gum Shawl KAL 2016:
Knitted Bubble Gum Shawl © Biancha Müller

All photos are my own, except those taken from the Ravelry pages of the originators of the CAL/KAL (Katja Löffler and Biancha Müller) - which are credited accordingly. Please check out their pages for detailed information.

Hope you enjoyed this post. Many thanks for all your recent comments, they are always much appreciated. It gives me great joy to share these things with you and I hope you will find some inspiration!

Feel free to leave me your comments below. Thanks for your visit!

17 comments:

  1. The yarn is a delight with its colour changes. Love the shawl, a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! Yes, I was glad I still had some in my stash! :) xx

      Delete
  2. It is pretty isn't it! I like the bubble effect. Enjoy making and then wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! It's really easy going to make it! xx

      Delete
  3. This is fabulous, thank's for the tip! I think you're using such a beautiful kind of yarn, can't wait to see it finished ;-)
    Take care,
    Sigrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm making good progress, and I think you will love the finished shawl. The yarn is great! xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Ingrid lovely shawl.
    I love your choice of wool as usual.
    I still using acrylic for a lot of my projects.

    Jacky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jacky, thank you for your comments, have a lovely weekend! xx

      Delete
  5. Terrific pattern Ingrid, love your yarn choices.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the scarf - the long gradient is perfect for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sybil, wow, thanks for stopping by! :) I'm going to follow your blog, I should tell you I totally love your papagena shawl, it's stunning. I was immediately thinking about a crochet version, hahaha! Take care, xx

      Delete
  7. I think I may have missed the deadline :-(
    The rows of smaller shapes along one edge add interest and I find that attractive and unique about this shawl design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I may have missed the deadline :-(
    The rows of smaller shapes along one edge add interest and I find that attractive and unique about this shawl design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I may have missed the deadline :-(
    The rows of smaller shapes along one edge add interest and I find that attractive and unique about this shawl design.

    ReplyDelete