Friday 5 June 2015

#cathrynsvintagetop - my photo tutorial I showed on instagram today

Hello my dear blogfriends,

I hope you all got a chance to enjoy the lovely and very hot weather we've been having today!!!

I wanted to share something I've been working on today!

The internet can be a wonderful thing, filled with amazing people and ideas. (Yes, I know that is not always the case, but stay with me and focus on the positive here!)

Last week I encountered the lovely @cathryncook via my instagram . I know, not everybody is on instagram. Which is why I will publish my tutorial here as well. Only you get it all in one nice blogpost, whereas I had to post numerous times on instagram.

Cathryn posted a most lovely photo of a crochet vintage top she bought in a charityshop.

You can find it here: Cathryn's Vintage Top - Photo

I used this one, saved the photo, turned it upside down on my computer and used my skills to 'hack' this pattern - that is to work out the stitches for a crochet pattern. (This is my term) ;))


The Stitch Tutorial for Cathryn's Vintage Top

The swatch I made for this pattern

Step by Step:

#1
First post of a new #series :
#cathrynsvintagetop


@cathryncook - this is for you especially!!! My #crochethack at working out the pattern from your post.

Row 1: all treble stitches

Row 2: * three trebles, two chains (skip one treble below) , one treble into the 5th stitch ,two chains (skip one treble below) *
Repeat from * for row2.

Shown: rows 1 and 2.

#funkycrochet ,#crochetpattern,
#vintage ,#patterndesign ,#ilovecolour ,#ilovecrochet ,#crochetaddict ,#crochetmearainbow ,#instacrochet




#2
#series #cathrynsvintagetop
Post #2


Showing Row 3

Row 3: * five trebles , three chains. * - see crochet stitches here.

Repeat * for the entire row.

In the #original #crochetpattern @cathryncook the first three rows are in the base #colour (#white ), I am using #lilac as my #basecolour.

#funkycrochet ,#crochethack ,#crochetpattern ,#instacrochet ,#ilovecrochet



#3
#series #cathrynsvintagetop
Post #3


Showing row 4 in #yellow = #colouraccent

@cathryncook
Row 4: *three trebles, then into 3 chain space below: three trebles, one chain, three trebles *

Repeat * across the entire #row
Note: basically rows 2-4 form the pattern

Rows 2 and 3 are in #basecolour, and row 4 is in #colouraccent.

#myfunkycrochet ,#crochethack ,#vintage ,#crochetpattern ,#instacrochet ,#crochetmearainbow ,#crochettop ,#crochetlove



#4
#series #cathrynsvintagetop
Post #4


Here you can see row 5 in my #basecolour #lilac .

You will notice that this row repeats row 2 again.

Please refer to all the posts with #cathrynsvintagetop together.

@cathryncook
#instacrochet ,#myfunkycrochetblogspotbe ,#ilovecolour ,#crochethack ,#crochetpattern ,#crochetlove ,#crochettop ,#crochetmearainbow ,#crochetmania



#5
#series #cathrynsvintagetop
Post #5


Showing row 6 in #basecolour #lilac - this row is a repeat from row 3.

Please check out all my posts in this series.

@cathryncook
#crochetpattern ,#vintagepattern ,#funkycrochet ,#ilovecrochet ,##crochethack ,#crochetaddict ,#instacrochet



#6
#series #cathrynsvintagetop
Post #6


Hooray, we got another #colouraccent row!!! Showing row 7 in #colouraccent #mintgreen .

Each #colouraccent row follows the #stitchpattern for row 4, with two rows of the #basecolour inbetween.

#instacrochet ,#ilovecolour ,#crochethack ,#funkycrochet ,#vintagelove ,#crochetdesign ,#crochetmearainbow



#7
#series #cathrynsvintagetop
Post #7


Next: row 8 in #basecolour #lilac which is a repeat of row 2

@cathryncook
#crochetmania ,#crochetpattern ,#crochethack ,#instacrochet ,#ilovecrochet ,#vintagepattern ,#fun ,#funkycrochet



#8
#series #cathrynsvintagetop
Post #8


@cathryncook
Row 9 is a repeat of row 3 in the #basecolour #lilac
Now you can see the pattern emerging!

#instacrochet ,#crochetpattern ,#crochethack ,#funkycrochet ,#vintagelove ,#ilovecrochet ,#crochettop ,#crochetmearainbow ,#colour



#9
#series #cathrynsvintagetop
Post #9


If you check out the original :
#cathrynsvintagetop @cathryncook then you will notice what a difference a bit of #colour can make!!! Hers comes in one #basecolour
Plus 2 #colouraccent s

What I did here is add a new #colouraccent !! You could add any number of colours be creative!

I would love it if anyone might try this #crochetpattern. Please use the tag #cathrynsvintagetop when sharing.

I do not claim to be the original designer, I merely tried to work out the pattern and share it here. Feel free to change the number of stitches to make it #unique.

I want you to feel inspired!!! I am going to do a post on my blog about this #ctochettutorial soon. Check: myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

#instacrochet ,#crochetismagical ,#creativity ,#crochethack ,#myfunkycrochetblogspotbe ,#ilovecolour ,#colourful ,#crochetpattern ,#crochetlove ,#crochetmearainbow



#10
This is #series #cathrynsvintagetop
Post #10

Here is my handwritten #crochet #diagram

@cathryncook
Please see my other posts in this series, giving a step by step guide.

#crochetpattern ,#crochethack ,#vintagepattern ,#instacrochet ,#ilovecolour ,#crochettop ,#crochetmearainbow ,#crochetismagical ,#myfunkycrochet
Please share and link back to me!
Enjoy!!!



Notes:

Of course, this is only the main part of the pattern, it wasn't meant to be an instruction how to make the entire top.

You could take any general pattern and just replace the stitch pattern! You could make any number of garments using this stitch pattern. I'm thinking cardigans, tops, dresses, jackets, etc.

I hope you have enjoyed this post, let me know what you think! I love reading your comments!

Have a lovely summery weekend!

17 comments:

  1. Its certainly a very pretty top, you are a very talented woman writing out the pattern. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have absorbed something! I crocheted a simple dishcloth last night and it was positively wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kathy, I love your pink dishcloth, so nice! Well done!!! <3 xx

      Delete
  3. You are good in what you are doing. I am thinking of starting one crochet project if I can find the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nancy! Your lovely compliment really made my day! It's nice to get a bit of appreciation once in a while!
      That's great - what will you make? Maybe start with a smaller project? Keep me posted!! :)) xx

      Delete
  4. You are brilliant to have "hacked" the pattern. I am amazed because I could never do that. It is a beautiful stitch.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith! I love her top so much, it grabbed me from the moment I saw it! And the pattern is not that difficult as such! Have a good week! Hope things are ok with your lovely family! xx

      Delete
  5. Dear Ingrid,
    this pattern looks really beautiful and how very clever of you to write down the pattern just by looking at it. I would love to make a top for myself for summer, probably a white one. But the thing is that I have never tried to crochet any clothes and I am not sure if I am able to. So let's see. Have a nice and warm Sunday evening, Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Viola! I think you should give it a go, making a top is not too difficult. There are many good patterns on the drops website: http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/kategori_oversikt.php

      If you are not too sure, it's probably best to start with a written pattern!

      Hugs! xx

      Delete
  6. This is really beautiful, Ingrid! Thank you for sharing the pattern....you are so clever to work it out and to write it down! It has been warm and sunny here too today, very summery!
    Happy new week.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! Glad you like it! Yes, summer seems finally here, we've been having a few very hot days, just lovely! :) xx

      Delete
  7. Well done for working out the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Have a lovely week, Gillian! :) xx

      Delete
  8. Oh jee, ik had nog helemaal niet gereageerd... Knap werk om zo'n patroontje uit te puzzelen! Wie weet ga ik het patroontjes nog eens proberen. Groetjes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing at my link up in week 25,
    you are welcome to share again now :o)

    ReplyDelete