Tuesday 30 August 2016

Return to crochet - Rowan Denim Granny Stitch Shawl, Tahiti Bubblegum Shawl, a book, Granny Square Day 2016

Hello my lovely blog friends,


Thanks so much for your kind comments and patience! And welcome to my latest followers!


I can tell you that my plaster cast came off last Tuesday and that I got a wrist brace now so that is a great help. I'm also doing physiotherapy and I still got a long way to go to regain full movement and strength in both my wrist and elbow.

Still, the good news is that I started back with doing crochet, hooray!!


Return to crochet

The day before I broke my arm, I had actually started a new project - a granny stitch shawl.

Last week I picked up where I left off and I have been working on it since.


My Rowan Denim granny stitch shawl


Can you believe it that I never made an actual granny stitch shawl before? I had some wonderful Rowan Denim yarn (made from cotton) that will fade when washed, just like actual denim fabric.


Starting my Denim Granny stitch shawl on 15.07.16

back to work on 23.08.16




3 different shades of Denim yarn



Crocheting on the balcony with Jasper last night

It is such an easy and soothing pattern to follow. As you can see from the photos, I had started with the slightly darker shade of Denim (6 balls), then I had only 1 ball that was called original Denim which was a tiny shade lighter and now I got some even lighter Denim, all from Rowan. I love that it gives an ombre effect! I'm using a 4mm hook.



A second Bubblegum Shawl - Tahiti Bubblegum Shawl

Does this surprise you that I also had to start a new Bubblegum shawl ? The pattern by Katia Loeffler (see Ravelry) is brilliant, and I knew that I wanted to make another.

Here you can see the new beginnings:


3 different shades of Tahiti yarn by Schachenmayr

Yarn cakes!


Started 28.08.16




What else has been going on? Well, I ordered some crochet and knitting books. This one deserves a mention:

Agnieszka Strycharska - Crochet Blocks (60 east to make motifs and 15 stunning projects)



As you can see from the cover image, Agnieszka also loves colour and is a crochetgirl after my own heart. The photography in this book is beautiful, each motif is given a large colour photo with written and graph pattern! As I prefer graphs, I can skip straight to them and get started.

The yarn she uses is Natura cotton which is a lovely yarn to work with.

On Saturday morning I just picked a motif and tried it out!





In the third photo you can see some of the book, and the two blocks that I made with the cotton I had at hand! It shows how versatile these motifs are, they look great in different colours!

I want to play about with more of these motifs!


Oh, and something else happened - International Granny Square Day!!!


As before, on instagram crocheters all over the world could contribute by photographing one or more of their granny squares under the tag #grannysquareday2016.


Foolishly, I didn't want to miss out despite my painful broken wrist/arm/elbow and so I made just one square! For me it was a real achievement at the time.



My granny square made on 15.08.16

Here is a collage made just from a small number of all the contributions, isn't it amazing?

You can find more images here on instagram under #grannysquareday2016



 :



Ok, I can see you starting to look a bit tired over there, 4 subjects are quite enough for one blog post!!!

Don't worry, there is still more to come and you can look forward to some interesting posts! I'm hoping to write up a pattern tutorial and I am thinking about doing a give away!

Meanwhile, take good care of yourselves and your loved ones, enjoy the little things wherever they find you and love life!

I hope you found a tiny bit of inspiration and would love it if you manage to leave me a comment, I enjoy reading them all. And hopefully I can manage to type some comments to leave on your pages now that my arm is slowly healing.




Rhododendron flowering in August!!










15 comments:

  1. Hey Ingrid,
    It looks like you're happy to get back to crocheting hahaha. I've seen all your pictures on instagram and all your projects look great. I love all the bright colours.
    Have a nice evening (night, I see it's already 22.29 hihi).

    Sweet greetings,
    Emily
    (casacreaemilia.blogspot.nl)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily for your kind comments! xx

      Delete
  2. My goodness, Ingrid, you are intrepid for crocheting a granny square even with a broken arm! I won't tell your medicos if you won't. That collage of granny squares looks just like your blog background.

    I'm amazed at how quickly your shawl is growing. Sometimes the word 'denim' is used to describe a shade of blue and that's all. I'm glad you told us that the denim yarn would fade like real denim fabric - that is an important thing to know!

    Happy to see you back. Take it easy, now!;-)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, We'll keep that one a secret, Jodie!!! ;) xx

      Delete
  3. Hi! Goed dat je terug bent! Doe je nog wel een beetje rustig aan met je arm?! Het plaatje van de granny squares is echt stunning ja, prachtig! En je omslagdoek wordt mooi met die denim kleurtjes. Veel succes en een aaitje voor Jasper. :)
    Groetjes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bedankt,Lizette! Jasper was blij van je aaitje!!! 😊 xx

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you got your cast off and you are healing. I have never made a granny stitch shawl either, I just might have to try one now that I have seen yours!
    Hugs to you Ingrid,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mere! It's pretty easy to do and fun to make!! 😊 xx

      Delete
  5. Just discovered your blog in a blog hop :) love the effect of the different denim hues. I love that idea on instragram of the different granny squares people have made, fantastic x Leah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Leah, nice of you to visit here!! Glad you enjoyed this post! It's amazing how versatile granny-squares and granny stitch can be! If you love what you see here, why not take a look at mu instagram page for more colourful inspiration? Take care!! 😊 xx

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you are on the mend and doing well! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ingrid
    lovely to see you back.
    I've missed popping over to your blog.
    I love your shawl the colours are wonderful.
    I'm crocheting teddies at the moment.
    Jacky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for shopping by, Jacky and have fun with making teddy bears!!! :) xx

      Delete
  8. Thick enough to see what you are doing, but small enough that you can keep track of it and maneuver it on your needles. garn med fri frakt online

    ReplyDelete